Watercolour Inspiration

I am using watercolours at the moment to get some ideas together for my Light and Life Quilt. We are house sitting in Sunny ? Sawtell so I don’t have my fabric and sewing machine here. I have joined the Sawtell Art Group and been inspired by the watercolour teacher Helen Goldsmith and the other talented artists in the group. They have all inspired me to paint … paint … paint! Actually, I find that the more I do and redo a subject / composition, the more I am learning about the watercolour medium and how to get the light into the pictures. I hope this will translate to my fabric and quilts.

I’ve added some images of the paintings, I’ve been working on.  In the pictures featured here I am playing with the light sources. There are supposed to be 3 different sources of light in the interior scene. Just to clarify, the three photos are of different attempts to get it all right. You will note that I ultimately decided to make the chimney blue brick (photo #2) rather than red brick, and changed the density of the flowers in the vase, as well as made the book case into a chest with drawers.

initial drawing

initial drawing

blocking in light sources

blocking in light sources

adding light

adding light

In the woman sitting on chair, there is a light source from behind her shoulder, as well as from the open door behind the cat (also within the mirror).

Cat came back

Cat came back